Fellow colleagues,

there was some discussion about the ability of XMPBox to parse
arbritary XMP which lead to PDFBOX-5128.

Now, after digging into the code and after reading through the various
specs for XMP and PDF/A as it stands now XMPBox in it's current
implementation is too restricted from the start as it not only per
default (although there is a way around it) only supports parsing
predefined XMP schemas restricted to the ones defined in PDF/A-1 but
also does some validation in the parsing phase.

Now, in order to get to an implementation for arbritary XMP that needs
to change with the validation for PDF/A-1 put on top. We could use the
existing implementation in a generalized way, use an existing Java XMP
parser such as Adobes XMPCore or approach it in a layered fashion XML -
> RDF -> XMP with supporting libs for that.

The other option would be to keep XMPBox as is and for general purpose
add a general parser into the project or simply refer to XMPCore.

That leads me to the question about the benefit of having a general
purpose (ASL licensed) XMP lib as part of PDFBox? Thoughts?

BR

Maruan Sahyoun

FileAffairs GmbH
Josef-Schappe-Straße 21
40882 Ratingen

Tel: +49 (2102) 89497 88
Fax: +49 (2102) 89497 91
sahy...@fileaffairs.de
www.fileaffairs.de

Geschäftsführer: Maruan Sahyoun
Handelsregister: AG Düsseldorf, HRB 53837
UST.-ID: DE248275827