Sean Busbey was a fine gent and gave me some great feedback this morning. I think it's in a good place -- does anyone else want to look at it before I merge it?

Josh Elser wrote:
 From a packaging perspective, I think this is good to go.

https://github.com/apache/phoenix/pull/183

I've asked a few fine individuals who I respect a bit in this area to
take a look. I'm happy to explain any changes to those here who would
like to understand why these are appropriate.

Meanwhile, I'll run a few tests myself to make sure the code is still
working as intended :)

Josh Elser wrote:
A quick update from me for those not watching the JIRA issues:

I've found two LGPL dependencies that have been bundled in the binary
artifact which *must* not be included as they are not compatible with
the Apache Software License. [1]

phoenix-core has a dependency on net.sourceforge.findbugs:annotations
which provides an implementation for JSR-305. Thankfully, there is an
ASL clean-room implementation we can use instead (looks like HBase had
already dealt with this at one point in time).

phoenix-pherf has a dependency on org.jfree:jfreechart for some charting
(I assume). There is no drop-in replacement that I am aware of here.
Unless someone can step up to swap out jfreechart for something that is
compatibly licensed, I will remove it outright.

Two great examples about why keeping a close eye on this stuff is super
important.

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-3101
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-3102

James Taylor wrote:
Ok, that's great then. We can just combine the separate vote emails into
one then. Much easier.
Thanks,
James