What's the way of collecting metrics through the full stack (RS + HDFS)
when the client performs an operation? Or is the conclusion that this isn't
useful? Or maybe impossible? Does something else replace some/all of the
htrace functionality (HBase metrics framework?)

That'd be fine if folks were interested in contributing to htrace, but I
suspect folks won't have enough bandwidth.