It's definitely a goal, but I don't know of anyone actively working on that.

What ever came about dropping old versions of HBase support? I thought we nuked <=1.2 (leaving just 1.3 and 1.4), but it seems like they have come back... The reason I ask: backporting the deprecation changes will be tough, and likely be tough for each branch they're targeted on. Trying to reduce where they need to go would be a big help.