Hi all,

Sending the board report which I'm about to submit to you all for review. Normally, I'd try to get this out to you all with time to incorporate reviews/edits/suggestions, but I'm running short on time and don't want to miss submission. Please forgive me.

Big thanks again to Vincent and William for your feedback which helped shape this report.

----

The mission of Phoenix is the creation and maintenance of software related to High performance relational database layer over Apache HBase for low latency
applications

## Issues:
No issues at this time!

## Membership Data:
Apache Phoenix was founded 2014-05-20 (5 years ago)
There are currently 44 committers and 30 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 3:2.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Chenglei on 2019-04-09.
  + New PMC member(s) under vote presently.
- Kadir Ozdemir was added as committer on 2019-05-30

## Project Activity:
The community continues to have two active release lines: 4.x and 5.x.

Since the last report, 4.14.2 was released and a 4.14.3 has its second release
candidate out for a vote now.

The 5.x release line has slowed since the initial 5.0.0 release. There was
interest expressed in both 5.0 and 5.1 releases happening, but there is still significant progress required to get to a first release candidate for either.
One impediment around the 4.x and 5.x release lines was ensuring that code
changes make it to all relevant release branches. This continues to be an
operational challenge for Phoenix as supporting a wide breadth of
compatibility for Apache Hadoop and Apache HBase versions is challenging.

This challenge is constantly being worked. For example, one community member
took the time to re-vamp our automated testing on the ASF Jenkins which now
shows largely passing test results, whereas the test results were essentially
noise (no meaningful data could be parsed from the job output).

On top of release stabilization, we can also be proud of a new significant
feature (PHOENIX-5156 on ASF Jira) which took roughly 6 months to design,
iterate, and commit. This is the hallmark of continuing innovation in Phoenix, rearchitecting one of the major enticing features of Phoenix to be more stable
for our users.

## Community Health:

Phoenix continues to be an active community with a strong core committership.
Mailing list traffic, Jira issue activity, and commits are up (at least
double-digit percents) over the last quarter.

We did have a rather negative thread[1] on our user list since the last report
in which a number of users expressed dissatisfaction with Phoenix. It is
frustrating to have individuals come to your project's list, ultimately
soliciting "what should I use instead?". Perhaps this is a good reminder to
take a step back and make sure we are doing enough as a community to help make
those who are not committers successful. However, as with all internet-based
communities, I'm sure there are some hyper-critical individuals on our lists
who aren't looking for a solution from Phoenix.

[1] https://s.apache.org/44hy7