This is really hard to follow.

I think we should do the same with HBase dependencies in Phoenix that HBase
does with Hadoop dependencies.

That is:  We could have a maven module with the specific HBase version
dependent code.
Btw. Tephra does the same... A module for HBase version specific code.
-- Lars

    On Tuesday, December 17, 2019, 10:00:31 AM GMT+1, Istvan Toth