I think it might be good to clarify (for me) a couple of cases:

1. we have branched a new release
2. an existing release

The way I understand things, in the case of 1, we have a backlog of patches
(not all of which are P1 bugs), and that's ok. If a new bad bug comes in
(the subject of debate here), then it goes in anyway (and in some cases,
would go into 0.9 etc).

Olga is saying that for existing release (0.9, 0.10), we should only commit
P1 bug fixes there. This makes sense to me, as we're fixing the "official
release" in place.

IMHO, this would encourage people to use newer release (as this is where
the latest and greatest stuff is, including non-critical bug fixes). Olga's
criteria is a pretty clear barrier for inclusion into these releases. With
old releases, I think the key is really that they keep doing what they have
always done. Most bugs are well understood by now, and the ones that aren't
will no doubt be P1.

I'm not decided (thus no formal +1 or whatnot), but Olga's point seems
pretty reasonable to me, especially given that trunk has pretty liberal
development. Once it gets tidied up, I can understand not wanting to jostle
it.