Tim Ellison noted in a recent email to the list (subject: [CANCEL] [VOTE]:
Apache Pirk 0.2.0-incubating Realse) the following:

> The distributed tests took a long time (~35mins IIRC), is that normal?

I feel like noting this in a separate thread, and discussing it here, is
worthwhile.

The distributed tests *do* take a long time. The reason isn't because any
one test is slow; indeed, most of the individual tests take only a handful
of seconds. The slowness is because of the very large number of tests. This
vast array of tests, upon inspection, can be seen to be caused by a very
thorough testing of the large number of different actions that can be
performed by Pirk and platforms it supports.

I think this is ok. As an example of why this thorough testing is
necessary, just yesterday, while finishing up PIRK-45, I ran into an error
15 minutes into the distributed tests. Without this thorough testing, that
code would have made it to a PR yesterday night, and (without the
distributed tests) it is likely no one would have caught it (it was a
subtle "Spark has an ancient package on its classpath pre-empting a newer
version I'd included, and the old package has a bug" error).