On Sat, 12 Mar 2016, Mark Murphy wrote:
My new class org.apache.poi.ss.util.CellBorders has some private methods
that respond to a subset of enum values being passed in. If the methods
were private, I would throw an exception if an invalid enum value was
passed, but since the methods are private, is that necessary? Well, it
isn't necessary, but should I validate the parameter anyway even though it
is always called with an explicit value within the class.

At the time of writing the code, it'll be private, all written by one person, and safe. However, several years later when a different committer is reviewing a patch from a new community member, those assumptions could be broken...

Unless it has a bad performance penalty, I'd suggest playing safe, as the code could live on for a long time!

Nick