On 04/07/16 03:17, Javen O'Neal wrote:
Andi and I noticed a RV_RETURN_VALUE_IGNORED_NO_SIDE_EFFECT warning
from FindBugs in HWPF. BitField#setValue is not a setter. It returns
the value of the holder if a value was set through the BitMask.

The BitField class should probably probably use a name that doesn't
look like a setter and/or make it extremely clear in the Javadoc that
no state is modified.

I think that the BitField classes are only ever used internally. I can't spot any code elsewhere on the internet using it from a google, can't spot it used in the usermodel, and I don't recall seeing user code on the lists using it.

It's also ancient code IIRC, so don't see why we can't change the name or javadocs to something clearer

Nick