I favour more regular non-beta releases generally and like the idea of a 4.0
release.
I'm pretty neutral on the JRE version support. My employers mandate JRE 1.8
usage and I think, for security reasons, this is the right approach.
My 2 cents is that we could continue to support a 3.x branch and backport
security fixes and fixes that would be generally useful to a wide community.
As part of a possible 4.0 release, we should review the deprecated code to
try and prune as much as possible.