On 6/11/18 11:14 AM, pj.fanning wrote:
> I guess this means we'll need to call the next release 3.0.0.

I think so too ...

> I'm not convinced that we need to build against newer JDKs than 1.6. Running
> applications with a more up to data Java runtime is recommended but I'm not
> sure we need to make Java 1.8 the minimum supported version.

Although I'm also not sure which one to pick, I tend to 1.8 because of the
security fixes in 1.7
and 1.7 is already at EOL [1] since April 2015.

I assume the switch to the JAXP parser is compatible to Java 1.6/1.8 in the
TypeLoader
therefore we might push out two versions (in a not so long interval) -
(the last) one for backwards compatibility/older libs and one to mark further
development
with Java 1.8+

Andi.

[1] https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_7.xml