For me, this kind of optimisation needs to be configurable. Most users would
not need this performance optimisation and would be better off to get the
full stack trace.

I would pitch that something like XmlOptions in the XMLBeans project is a
useful model. This allows users to choose to override the default behaviour
of the lib. It's a little bit prettier than using System properties but it
might be a lot of work to wire a PoiOptions class into our APIs, even if we
just started with some APIs where we could make use of it.

Options include:
* Roll out PoiOptions in these evaluation APIs (probably a lot of work and
to not break API contracts, we'd need to have to add lots of new methods
that take the new class as a param)
* Look for the PoiOptions on ThreadLocal so that users can set PoiOptions
just on the threads where they want to override the default behaviour
* Expose PoiOptions as a static variable eg PoiOptions.getInstance() so that
users can update the settings and affect the whole JVM (easiest to write and
easiest to use)
* Use System variables

--
Sent from: http://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/POI-Dev-f2312866.html