Hi,

Currently I am trying to find a path between maintaining some source compatibility and throwing it completely away.

To better illustrate my concerns, please take a look at the latest commit on my working branch:
https://github.com/cuali/poi/commit/dc6523f1df00fd10c11eef863c6c9a24e45e9905

On one hand, I break code compatibility renaming *etLineSpacing to *etLineSpacingValue in order to merge these functions into XDDFTextParagraph:
https://github.com/cuali/poi/commit/dc6523f1df00fd10c11eef863c6c9a24e45e9905#diff-e99644263dc7f4a47e813d54a36c272be278fa8e39c85d4ce4c4357f5223d674R280

On the other hand, I introduce bridges between legacy enumeration and the XDDF enumeration:
https://github.com/cuali/poi/commit/dc6523f1df00fd10c11eef863c6c9a24e45e9905#diff-d6d7d40b89c121304c594a27abcd97e36a5e479d6aa87f500145412dfe29b680R52-R76

In this effort, I am dancing between the constraints of existing common interface between HSLFTextParagraph and XSLFTextParagraph on one side, and duplicated code, which I mostly copied into XDDFTextParagraph in the past years, in XSLFTextParagraph and XSSFTextParagraph on the other side. The origin of the whole XDDF package is due to the fact that both XSLF and XSSF use the same underlying drawingml schema to represent text bodies, but two distinct implementations had been derived for text bodies in slides and in spreadsheets before I joined the project.

Maybe the right approach would be to simply throw away both XSLF and XSSF specific implementations and keep only the XDDFTextParagaph instead? But then, what would occur with the common interface shared between HSLFTextParagraph and XSLFTextParagraph, when replacing with XDDFTextParagaph? Should it be extended to HSSFTextParagraph and XDDFTextParagaph as well? I never touched any class on the H**F side of the force!

I would have liked to finish this code cleanup before the wrapping up of the 5.0.0 release otherwise we would have yet another major break to 6.0.0 with that.

Could you provide some kind of sane advices?

Kind regards,
Alain FAGOT BÉAREZ