On 02/09/2018 12:38 PM, sebb wrote:
> On 9 February 2018 at 10:03, Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hullo folks, time for a release methinks!
>>
>> This is a vote on the artifacts collected from the tree in the 0.10
>> branch with commit hash a8ea8a044996ba0aea08fe59156edb79cd6f9db8.
>>
>> The tree can be inspected at
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-ponymail/tree/a8ea8a044996ba0aea08fe59156edb79cd6f9db8
>>
>> The release candidate is available at:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ponymail/
>>
>> Specifically, this is a vote on
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ponymail/apache-pony-mail-0.10-incubating.tar.xz
>> (md5, sha256 and sig files are provided as well).
>
> The above URL is mutable (indeed will be removed at some point) so it
> would be helpful to include the contents of at least one of the hashes
> in the vote mail.
> Otherwise it won't be follow the provenance of the artefact.
>
> Also, why is the file compressed using xz?
> That is a relatively unknown/new format and is unlikely to be
> available on all systems.
>
> By all means provide that as well, but I think sources should be
> provided as gzip and zip for maximum usability.

xzip (LZMA) has been core in GNU for almost a decade now, and is
preferred to gzip by modern applications (it is what you would use for
distro packages on freebsd and most linux distros).

It works on Mac as well as Windows (through 7zip), and achieves better
compression than traditional gzip.

IOW, there is no barrier to opening this file for our users that
wouldn't exist with gzip.

With regards,
Daniel.