On 9 February 2018 at 15:40, Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 02/09/2018 04:29 PM, sebb wrote:
>> On 9 February 2018 at 10:03, Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hullo folks, time for a release methinks!
>>>
>>> This is a vote on the artifacts collected from the tree in the 0.10
>>> branch with commit hash a8ea8a044996ba0aea08fe59156edb79cd6f9db8.
>>>
>>> The tree can be inspected at
>>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-ponymail/tree/a8ea8a044996ba0aea08fe59156edb79cd6f9db8
>>>
>>> The release candidate is available at:
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ponymail/
>>
>> -1
>>
>> The dist archive does not agree with the GIT commit.
>
> It doesn't have to agree. It is files _collected_ from that hash.

Depends on what is missing.

But I agree that a release should not include source that is not in
the commit hash.

>> At least one file is different (site/js/ponymail.js)
>
> Correct, the version differs. This shouldn't be a problem.

I think it should be fixed.
It does not meet your definition of "files _collected_ from that hash"

>> The test/ directory is missing, as are the STATUS and .gitignore files
>
> Those files are not important to make a release. See above.
> I could collect half the files and call a release, it doesn't have to
> be a bit-by-bit representation of what's in git :)

Not so; a release must be capable of being built *and tested*.
http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#source-packages

Whilst the code currently has very few tests, there are some, and
users should be able to run them.