Hi pony mail folks,
The chaps at PonEE have been working on a new user interface for Pony Mail for a while, which is currently being used for mobile devices accessing our archives at lists.apache.org. For those that haven't tried it yet, it's a dual-device (mobile+browser) adaptive interface, and they'd like to donate the interface to us at Apache Pony Mail.

It's not as complex/feature-full as the old/standard pony interface (some of this is intentional), and some things are still a bit buggy, but I'd love for us to adopt this interface and work on ironing out the kinks, potentially replacing our old standard UI with it in the coming months/years.

Before I describe the major changes/differences, I'll quickly point out that the desktop/browser version can be tested via https://lists.apache.org/x/ (when accessing on a mobile device, it should in fact redirect to that address already, from what I understand).

Now, to the differences with the old UI:

- New simplified front page (the "phone book")
- New base scaffolding with a more compact calendar and stats.
- Adaptive mobile version of the UI
- Better quoting of old email
- New "chatty" design for conversations (old standard view is still available)
- Integrated diff syntax highlighting (useful for apache!)
- better list tabbing, custom search can now be a tab as well, allowing you to move between your last search results and a domain's lists. - moved away from using innerHTML for all un-trusted variables (big security win). - preferences tab has been removed. This is an intentional dumbing down of the interface from their side, and I think it makes sense to have as simple an interface as possible. Up to the project to decide if that should change.

I'd like to kick off a discussion where people can give some feedback on this idea...or if we're all cool with this, that's acceptable as well :)

Let me know what you think! If this discussion is favorable, I'll kick off a simple vote thread later this/next week, or whenever the discussion dies down.

With regards,
Daniel.