I second with removing engine manifests and add a separate registry for
other meta data (such as where to push engine code, models, and misc.
discovery).

The current design is a result of realizing the need that producing
predictions from the model requires custom code (scoring function) as well.
We have bundled training code, predicting (scoring) code together as an
engine, different input parameters as different engine variants, and engine
instances as an immutable list of metadata that points to an engine, engine
variant, and trained models. We can definitely draw clearer boundaries and
names. We should start a design doc somewhere. Any suggestions?

I propose to start by making registration optional, then start to refactor
manifest and build a proper engine registry.

Regards,
Donald