Hi all,

I am moving the discussion of stateless build (
https://github.com/apache/incubator-predictionio/pull/328) here. Replying
Pat:

> BTW @chanlee514 @dszeto Are we thinking of a new command, something like
pio register that would add metadata to the metastore? This would need to
be run every time the engine.json changed for instance? It would also do
not compile? Is there an alternative? What state does this leave us in?

I imagine we would need pio register after this. Something like what docker
push would do for you today. Changes of engine.json will not require
registration because it is consumed during runtime by pio train and pio
deploy. We are phasing out pio build so that engine templates will be more
friendly with different IDEs.

> After the push, what action create binary (I assume pio build) what
action adds metadata to the metastore (I assume pio train) So does this
require they run on the same machine? They often do not.
pio build will still create the binary at this point (and hopefully phased
out as mentioned). Right now the only metadata that is disappearing are
engine manifests. Engine instances will still be written after pio train,
and used by pio deploy.

> One more question. After push how do we run the PredictionServer or train
on multiple machines? In the past this required copying the manifest.json
and making sure binaries are in the same location on all machines.
"In the same location" is actually a downside IMO of the manifest.json
design. Without manifest.json now, you would need to run pio commands from
a location with a built engine, because instead of looking at engine
manifests, it will now look locally for engine JARs. So deployment would
still involve copying engine JARs to a remote deployment machine, running
pio commands at the engine template location with engine-id and
engine-version arguments.

Regards,
Donald