> On May 11, 2022, at 6:39 AM, Matteo Merli <matteo.me...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 1:10 AM Enrico Olivelli <eolive...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am sorry, I missed this discussion.
>> But until we cut a release we are in time to change our minds, if we
>> find out that we can do better.
>
> Yes, but the precise point of having a PIP process is to have
> discussions and formalize decisions.

One of my criticisms of the current PIP process is that there is a 2 day VOTE
period. This is just too short for ASF project governance. Not everyone is
online or checking the dev list in detail in that short a period. There are
weekends, holidays, work focus (even if Pulsar is your job). Many PIPs are
minor, but some are of very large impact and should perhaps have a 7 day VOTE
and/or 7 days minimum discussion time.

This particular PIP has a large impact and I think that even if it proceeds
there are certain additional discussions and decisions that are required.

1. We should likely declare that 2.10 releases are LTS to allow stability for
users that must remain on Java 8.
2. We’ll need to provide clear guidance to developers on code changes that will
be cherry picked to 2.10 and earlier versions.

ATB,
Dave