Hi Bo,

>  the old server compatibility can add `ProtocolVersion` to control.

It's a good idea to use `ProtocolVersion` to control. But adding a
negative schema type still looks weird. You can find the following
description in SchemaType.java, which was added in
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/3940:

```java
// Schemas that don't have schema info. the value should be negative.
```

If you expose the negative schema type in PulsarApi.proto, how could
you explain to users that the "new" schema type is a negative integer?
And for developers, the negative schema types should not have the
schema info, but you create a schema info for it.

Thanks,
Yunze