Robert Greig wrote:
> I can see that it would be nice to have a completely managed code .NET
> library (for example, I think you need to be fully managed to support
> one click deployment?). However I can also see that leveraging the
> existing C++ codebase is very attractive since the core of it has been
> tested a lot on linux and the port of the rest is required for a
> Windows broker.
>
> It would be interesting to know if this is why the Microsoft guys
> decided to take that approach rather than rewriting the managed code
> client.

The maturity of the C++ code base combined with its high level of
developer activity and the desire to use a C++ broker were indeed
major reasons for focusing on the C++ side of the house for WCF
development.

It is also worth pointing out that the WCF implementations from
Microsoft for both MSMQ and WebSphere MQ were implemented using a
managed to native interop layer and relying on the native C++
libraries (from Microsoft and IBM respectively) to do most of the
heavy lifting.  Consequently, using the C++ Qpid libraries in a mixed
managed and native mode implementation was always viewed as a natural
design choice.

Cliff