Github user k-wall commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/qpid-broker-j/pull/4

    Hello Olivier

    Thanks for the contribution.  It is much appreciated.

    I am not too uncomfortable with the idea of special casing of the state
behaviour for this one type of VirtualHostNode.

    I think in the long term, in general parent objects should have some way to
react to the state of the their child, but I think this would want to be done
within the common mechanics of AbstractConfiguredObject rather than applied
piecemeal.   It would be useful to be able to apply different rules - for
instance a virtualhost might be considered critical whereas a
BrokerSyslogLogger not.   This would be a larger piece of work.

    I am looking for another way to solve your problem.   Looking at
`BrokerImpl#performActivation`, it currently checks the immediate decedents of
the Broker if `broker.failStartupWithErroredChild` is set.   We could alter
this code so it can either check immediate descendants or the state of the
entire tree.  If the code had that ability would your use case by answered?

---