> deffun: d/dx(f) =
>   defvar: delta = 0.001
>   fun: (x) in
>      ((f((x + delta)) - f(x)) / delta)

Just to be pedantic, I've changed the "in" to "in:", because I want to
have a consistent rule for all key*words*.

> Which can be understood easier than the prefix version but avoids all
> the negatives of a complete infix notation.

What you're doing is essentially recapping an age-old Lisp tradition
of defining infix macros (my guess is the first one was probably
written a few weeks after s-expressions got adopted as the programming
notation).  I don't have a problem with that.  I don't want to use
"in:" as the name for an infix construct, but maybe just "i:"
(especially if people are going to use it often, keeping it short will
help).  But I also don't want to spend time on that right now because
I don't think it's where the big payoff is.

> deffun: d/dx(f) =
>   defvar: delta = 0.001
>   fun: (x) in
>      in:(in:( f( in:(x + delta) ) - f(x)) / delta) ; not as pretty...

No, once you're in infix, you can stay there:

deffun: d/dx(f) =
  defvar: delta = 0.001
  fun: (x) in:
    i:((f(x+delta) - f(x)) / delta)

As I said in another message, I think I made a mistake by using
arithmetic examples, because they represent the worst-case for this
syntax.  Real code will have much less arithmetic.

> Since your target use if for students, I could be convinced that infix
> doesn't belong.  ¡  But both students and experienced (non-LISP)
> programmers will complain about the prefix math. (And prefix comparison
> operators.)

My experience teaching Scheme beginners is that Lisp-style prefix for
arithmetic is NOT a problem; they get the hang of it quickly.  It's
when things start to nest and parens start to add on that they start
to get frustrated.  (COND is a special pet peeve.)

> BTW, any binary operation that expresses a relationship between first
> and second operands could be clarified by writing it in infix.

Except conventionally, I hear no clamor for being able to say

  (+ . map . l)

or even

  (10 . expt . 2)

The bottom line, though, is that I don't have a problem with having a
parenthesized infix term offset by a keyword.

> Also, if P4P is dependent on keywords like if: elif: etc. then macros
> are crippled unless they can also make use of key words.

I'm afraid I totally don't understand what you're saying.

> Other examples:
>   filter( lst ) with:(elem) { odd?(elem) }
> -->
>   (filer lst #:with (lambda (elem) (odd? elem)))

-->

I'm failing to see what is "cripping" here that #:with did not carry
over into Racket.  The idea is to create a surface syntax that
entirely hides the Racket layer underneath, so who cares whether the
Racket layer uses intermediate keywords or not?

Given that I am totally, completely, utterly missing your point, I'm
sure you must have one.  Try again?

> The switch example shows one more instance where someone will want to
> define a structure that you haven't thought of.   I believe you said cond
> will just have to be a bunch of if/elif.   But someone will still want to
> implement cond.   If you can't handle creating new structures in your
> syntax then P4P will only be useful to students.

Please see the section on syntax extensions in the manifesto.  I
thought I'd already addressed this.

>  It won't help pull
> parenthesis-haters into the Racket camp (unless you implement all the
> structures they could wish for in your parser, since
> non-schemers/lispers aren't used to creating new syntaxes with macros).

Naturally, P4P will have to offer a term for each of the syntactic
constructs in Racket.  Functions come for free.  So they would have
the whole language available to them.  So what's the problem?

Shriram