I'm writing code for beginners that produces "sound" values.  I'd like to
render these values as snips that have a start and a stop button.

My first experiment looked like this:

#lang racket

(require racket/gui)

(define f (make-object image-snip%
"/Users/clements/plt/collects/icons/mini-plt.xpm"))

(define (g)
  (send f load-file "/Users/clements/plt/collects/icons/j.gif"))

This "worked" in the sense that the value was rendered graphically, but "didn't
work" in the sense that calling (g) didn't change an already-displayed image.
Viz:

<<inline: Screen shot 2010-09-07 at 3.37.28 PM.png>>

This suggests to me that it would be hard to implement a "sound-player-snip"
that updated itself to display its status.

My hope is that I'm wrong, and there's some easy way to make snips "live" in
this sense.

Any help greatly appreciated.

John