On Aug 13, 2011, at 8:31 PM, Eli Barzilay wrote:

Because this whole thread started with someone who was confused by the
existence of this selection.

No, I think it was someone who was confused by the absence of an
easy, almost-certainly-correct default.

"They [...] were presented 5 different options for downloading
DrRacket for Mac".

Yes, but was one of them clearly distinguished from the rest, to indicate "this is probably what you want"?

I agree with the suggestion that the button text should say which
version it thinks is correct, so you can tell immediately if it's
wrong.  If the user selects something different in the combo box,
the button text should change to match it.

It will be too long, see earlier reply.

That occurred to me. I don't know how much trouble it would be to generate "short forms" of each of the possible names.

Stephen Bloch
sbl...@adelphi.edu