> Is that expected? It looks like the OS is preventing
> not-full-fledged-app-things from opening windows and handling input.
> This is OS 10.6,8.

It probably needs to run from inside the .app folder. OS X uses the full
path to the binary to figure out the name to use to dispatch events, or
something similarly odd! I've tried a couple of quick experiments along
the lines of

$ /Applications/Racket v5.1.3/DrRacket.app/Contents/MacOS/DrRacket -W
info -l- drracket

but that binary doesn't like the -W switch.

[...]

Aha, removing the DrRacket binary from the Contents/MacOS directory and
symlinking plain racket there as DrRacket instead works for me:

$ mv DrRacket DrRacket.moved-out-of-the-way
$ ln -s /Applications/Racket\ v5.1.3/bin/racket DrRacket
$ /Applications/Racket v5.1.3/DrRacket.app/Contents/MacOS/DrRacket -W
info -l- drracket

I launch that all from an xterm in X11, though, so if it doesn't work
for you that's an interesting clue that Terminal.app is doing something
weird perhaps.

Regards,
  Tony