On 12/9/11 3:31 PM, Daniel King wrote:
On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 15:27, Carl Eastlund<c...@ccs.neu.edu>  wrote:
What does "divides" even mean in Q?  I think we need David to explain
what his extension of GCD and LCM means here, in that "divisors" and
"multiples" are fairly trivial things in Q.

I took "x divides y" to mean x/y is an integer.

I don't suppose to understand all the math on this page, but I think
it uses the same definition that dvh is using.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GreatestCommonDivisor.html

Yes, that's where I got the definition I suggested.

As a concrete example of why I wanted gcd extended to rationals: I wrote a big-bang program that runs a set of big-bang programs, so it needs a tick-rate that is the gcd of all the tick-rates of the programs it runs, which may be rational.

David