Just out of curiosity: What are your / the teams objections against some
kind of real versioning system that allows to

* specify a version number without creating a new package
* specify dependencies based on minimal version
* keep/pin a package at some particular version (maybe your code
  depends on an exact, even buggy behavior)
* keep directory and file names between incompatible versions
  without getting banned from solar

What made me also wonder when i read the docs is, why is it allowed to
have packets that have the same directories as the core racket distribution?

Tobias