The package system has a notion of "auto" packages, which are packages
that were automatically installed to satisfy dependencies. Also, `raco
pkg remove' supports an `--auto' flag for automatically removing auto
packages that have no non-auto packages depending on them.

So, instead of adding package roots, one possibility is:

 * Make `raco pkg show' show only non-auto packages by default.

 * Change the `pkg-links' Makefile target to install only links for
   packages needed by a particular package (which defaults to some sort
   of "main-distribution" package), and to install links forced by
   dependencies as "auto".

The second bullet is along a direction that things are moving, anyway.

I think there will need to be some other refinements to auto mode. For
example, if you have a package in auto mode and you try to install it,
I think you get an already-installed error and the package stays in
auto mode. But those are small changes, I think.

Does this sound enough like what you had in mind?