Ok. Given this approach, it sounds like reaching out to the IoT community
would be a good step. Identify some of the more popular device protocols,
coordinate with the communities for those devices/protocols, introduce
discovery for those devices/protocols in river, and do some outreach in
those communities with some IoT examples.

One of the projects that we (Systap, LLC) support on the blazegraph (graph
database) platform is the wiki data query service.  There might be an
opportunity for an interesting mashup of IoT and knowledge graphs.

Thanks,
Bryan
On Aug 31, 2015 4:06 AM, "Peter" <j...@zeus.net.au> wrote:

> On 30/08/2015 9:50 PM, Bryan Thompson wrote:
>
>> Peter,
>>
>> I like the solution.  I have two questions. One related to the radmap. The
>> other related to river and IoT.
>>
>> First, this a 3.1 release road map issue?
>>

> Yes.
>

>   It would be nice to be able to
>> move to a 3.0 now and have a development road map for 3.1.
>>
>> Second, there are a lot of devices and protocols propagating in the IoT
>> space.  Do you have a sense of what percentages of these devices any of
>> these are running embedded java?
>>

> I don't think there are many.
>
>   I have been playing with IoT mainly
>> through microcontrollers. At least hobby end of that market the devices
>> are
>> running C, squirrel, etc. So one question I have about making river
>> relevant to IoT  (which would be a killer use case) is how to manage
>> communication with devices running other languages. Could this be done in
>> the language binding or would there be protocol translation services
>> hosted
>> in the river fabric.
>>

> River has RMI IIOP endpoints for multi language interop, however these
> still use compiled stubs.  Glassfish uses dynamic RMI IIOP proxy's that
> don't require codebase downloads, we'd probably also want to investigate
> TSL.
>
> However I think that surrogate services designed for protocols, such as
> MQTT, MQTT-S and CoAP, may be more appropriate.    So we could use a
> surrogate service, that automatically discovers such devices, and registers
> them with the lookup service.
>
> Where the service proxy is the bridge or adaptor.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter.
>
> Right now IoT has device silos. Different kinds of devices can not directly
>> commnicate. A variety of services exist to allow data logging and
>> centralize event triggers and the like, but they are not open
>> architectures, at least not that I have found.  If river can offer cross
>> device relevance and an open architecture for IoT that would be a very
>> interesting capability.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bryan
>> On Aug 30, 2015 7:09 AM, "Peter"<j...@zeus.net.au>  wrote:
>>
>> I finally had the chance to look through the org.apache.river name change
>>> work Dennis Reedy has done, it all looks very impressive, he's even taken
>>> the time to tidy up the qa suite. I haven't had time to run any tests or
>>> look at the jtreg test suite, I promise I'll make some time in the near
>>> future. Before we release this code there is an opportunity to tidy up
>>> the
>>> org.apache.river name space even further. In the Jini days,