Glen,

You can only use the $entry when you are in a #foreach loop as the $entry
refers to the current weblog item iteration:

#foreach( $entry in $entries )
#end

I do not think you can easily use blog entries in the <head> section
without changing the logic some what.

I have checked the code and within #foreach( $entry in $entries ) the
$entry.searchDescription works as expected.

Cheers Greg.