The biggest problem with FXG is that there are no editors that support it.

I kept using Illustrator CS5 for creating all my assets.  While I don't
have a problem with that or a need to upgrade to the latest version, it
will be hard to ask users to use that version for their FlexJS/Royale
skinning needs.  Adobe makes it very hard for people to find and download
those versions as well.

Going forward, CSS3 and SVG would be a very good alternative for us.  It is
widely supported and easy for our users to incorporate in their workflow.

Thanks,
Om