At some point, we could do things like create a pom.xml based on the
features they want.  For example, the Spring Boot project has this page:
https://start.spring.io/
where you could go select the functionalities you want and download the
pom.xml.  Then you simply run mvn install, and everything is setup for you
automatically.

With npm, we already have Josh's yeoman project which can be further
tweaked to make it an interactive functionality selection process, which
would in turn generate the appropriate workspace files.

We could also have a github repo with various starter packs, that support
various functionalities and IDEs.

Stuff volounteers can start working on today :-)

Thanks,
Om