In most cases we do output the most basic code.  But let's look at one
scenario I expect to run into more than once, which is placing a popup
somewhere.

Like I said, in most of our code, we rarely read back x and y.  I don't
even think we read x and y in an absolute positioning container.  But I
would imagine there is a fair number of places in existing Flex apps that
do something like:

// center tooltip horizontally
Var tt:FancyToolTip = new FancyToolTip();
tt.x = MyWidget.x + MyWidget.width / 2.

This simple example does not work today.  I am proposing it should work
for non-transformed UI.  I think we can make it work.  We can provide
alternative ways of doing it by abstracting the calculation into utility
functions but it just seems strange to me that UI widgets should not have
x,y properties that work like they do in Flex/Flash.  But you are right,
we do have the option of not having x,y on our UI widgets.

Another scenario may be as we write more effects.  They may have similar
issues picking starting points.  I think this might be an issue of how
easy we make it for folks to migrate.  The calculation for x and y is just
subtracting the container's offsetLeft or offsetTop from the component's
offsetLeft or offsetTop so one extra read of a property.  Of course, I
could be wrong about that.

My 2 cents,
-Alex