On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 3:50 AM, Dany Dhondt <archeme...@mac.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A few thoughts:
>

> In our organization, I built a big backoffice web application in Flex
> about 2 years ago. Now, we are obliged to make it future proof, which
> means, no Flash dependency at all.
> We chose react.js. So the last couple of months, I studied react, npm,
> node, webpack, babel, …
> It’s clear that the most popular technologies for creating web
> applications nowadays are cli driven packages like react, angular, (vue)
> I really think royale should be in this list!
> The whole thing is about getting people up and running in no time. And
> getting started quickly is all about configuration.
> An example: for react, a npm package create-react-app is available which
> is as simple as:
>
> create-react-app my-app
> cd my-app
> yarn start (or npm start)
>
> These commands setup a whole file structure, configures webpack and babel,
> runs a local dev server and start up a boilerplate app. Ready to go!
>
> couldn’t we make a create-royale-app package?

We do have such a thing.  Please check out the royale cli tool.
Setup instructions here:
https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/develop/npm/cli
I think it does what you are asking for and more :-)  For example, it
monitors your src folder and recompiles the Royale app and reloads the
browser as well!

One of these days we need to make a blog post about this.  I would really
really like feedback so we can make this tool better.

> This boilerplate could contain a ready-to-go set of components:
> Navigationheader on top, then a left pane and content pane, which are
> responsive and a set of basic components like drop down, button, list, …
>
> All this packed with a clean but robust set of css styling.

Right now, the cli installs a very simple hello-world app.  I am planning
on replacing this with a Jewel themed app soon.  Volunteers are more than
welcome to help out here.