Hi Yishay,

IMO, the new fix is better.  And you took the right approach by examining the
code flow in the debugger.  When layout fails for what appears to be a timing
issue (in this case, offsetParent not set), we definitely want to take the time
to carefully analyze why there is a timing issue instead of apply code to work
around the current lifecycle.

I'm not sure we can recommend a general pattern for layouts.  I think there is
some PAYG involved.  It could be that in some cases the View should be
responsible for setting style.position.  Then the layouts don't have to spend
the time verifying style.position.  In other cases the layouts could be used in
places where other potential layouts don't rely on style.position being a
particular value.  I think BasicLayout for Containers is an example.

The code you used could be put into a utility function for layouts to use to
guarantee that x,y will work as expected.

Thanks,
-Alex