Hi Alex,

> On 6/29/18, 11:29 AM, "carlos.rov...@gmail.com on behalf of Carlos
> Rovira" <carlos.rov...@gmail.com on behalf of carlosrov...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi Alex,
>
>     thanks for the explanation I think finaly understand the main
> difference
>     between Group and Container. Although, I see Group seems to have many
>     things already setup to be able to do have this feature. Don't know if
>     having two separate components make sense, or there's more differences?
>
> IIRC, Group has some code to implement an interface that allows layouts to
> find the right children, and could therefore have an internal actual parent
> for its children, but Group never does for PAYG reasons, since lots of
> times you don't need an internal parent.  The code in Group is effectively
> a degenerate case, but done that way so the Layouts can find the children
> in the same way as in a Container.
>
> Container always creates an internal actual parent for the children.  For
> PAYG reasons, we offer these two ready-to-go components.  If you looked at
> the first FlexJS examples, there was no Group and thus there were twice as
> many Divs in the DOM, one for the Container and one for the internal actual
> parent.  That was not PAYG.
>
> If we wanted to rename things, I would recommend dropping "Group" and
> calling that Container (and not have an internal actual parent) and the
> current Container would be more explicitly named, like
> ContainerWithContentArea or something like that.

For me actual names "Group" and "Container" are ok now that I understand
the differences, I think the names are capturing the essence. I'm not a fan
of names like "XWithYAndZ". For me is a matter of update the comment
description in both classes to describe the differences between both.

>     COMPILE::JS
>     {
>     nav.appendChild(c.positioner);
>     (c as IUIBase).addedToParent();
>     }
>             }
>
>     So I have a "nav" html nested tag, and there's where things are added.
>     Is still early code, so maybe I should refactor it, but is a very
> concrete
>     use for HTML (maybe SWF will not need this)
>
> I think you can create a component like ContainerContentArea and have it
> create some other html element besides Div and set that as the IContentView
> in a Container.  There may be some support missing on the JS side.  You
> might want to see how Panel does it.
>
>     I must say that as I dig more and more in new html5 components and
> layouts
>     I see each time that things use to be created nesting some tags to
> have the
>     final desired use case. In SWF things can be more simpler or less
> nesting
>     (but as normal, more code too)
>
> Some of our component sets (or maybe just some of the components) are just
> intended to encapsulate common DOM patterns.  So if HTML5 nests tags, that
> shouldn't be a problem, it is just the pattern you are trying to
> encapsulate.  The View should take care of that encapsulation.

I have things working right now, but I think as all code is a "first
draft", I think we could revisit it to upgrade to a better, reusable and
extendable class as Jewel settles more and more.

> I think there should be a distinction in the framework between a
> "container" which can contain an arbitrary set of children, and a "control"
> which might be composed of children, but you aren't supposed to know about
> that, sort of like Web Components.  So if you are creating Controls and
> know the children in the "sub-DOM" then I would recommend creating that
> sub-DOM in the View.  If you are creating new containers, then it makes
> more sense to base your Container on GroupBase or ContainerBase.

Right, I'm agree with that. I'll try to get back over the actual code of
this case to try somethings in that way. It's more easy always to rework
from a working version to get a better one

thanks! :)