Hi,

just read all the thread and just want to comment about real Royale
experience that made me enter "localId" world.
Alex, asked if 90% of code will not get multiple ids. My experience says
that people will find lots of them. Why? Let me explain:

Doing Jewel, and programming Royale components in AS3 never find this
problem due to making things in AS3 and due to the way we code components
we don't need to set ids so you don't find problems. At soon as I started
to code or migrate code from old Flex app, I started to need this when
migrating some component made in MXML. I had many of this that are used
many times thought all Application.

I expect normal users will do this all the time. For example, a
"SearchBox.mxml" could have a TextInput and a Button, and will have Script
blocks with code that need to deal with the MXML instances declared in that
mxml document (the text input and the button). So the component will
encapsulate all the code that this MXML component will need and eventually
will dispatch some event or accept some external data. Think of this for
many other components like a ON/OFF or YES/NO RadioButton set, or a
identification combobox or dropdownlist with a TextInput to set
identification number, and many many more...those are easy to code in MXML
and people will want to code in MXML and not AS3.

In the other hand, in Flash we didn't have this problem, but HTML doesn't
allow (by spec) to have more than one id with the same text, So at least in
HTML, and although Browsers doesn't break if users sets non unique Ids,
maybe Royale should Fail on compilation if detects non unique Ids.

Right now Greg's fix is working, so if we want to iterate over this more we
should take into account that:

- HTML spec doesn't allow unique ids, so although browsers doesn't enforce
(making your app not running), maybe Royale should fail when compile and
app and find more than one id with the same text.
- CSS: Although we should not requiere id and set CSS with ids, we need to
allow people to set an id and use CSS for that id. We don't use maybe
never, but since is allowed, we should not break that use case from Royale.
- I think people should not use ids in html almost never, but again, we
can't break that use case for people that want to do so, but Royale
shouldn't make the use if ids in HTMLElement something direct or enforce to
make users use that
- For what I see VSCode (that is the IDE I use) is able to do code
intelligence for actual "localId" the same as with normal "id", only thing
is that VSCode can't suggest "localId" since doesn't know about it. Maybe
is a matter to ask Josh to include it the same as "includeIn".

Since this days I were out, I need to experiment more with the new fix for
localId, so can't say many more about Greg's Boolean flag proposal, or the
removal of localId proposed by Alex in favor of  file/project level options
(@Alex, maybe for this you should expose what you have in mind, since I at
least can't envision or imagine what's all about)

Thanks

Carlos