Hi Alex,

El lun., 14 ene. 2019 a las 5:37, Alex Harui (<aha...@adobe.com.invalid>)
escribió:

> NaN may not be a legal value on some runtimes/platforms.

mmm...but, right now, since property is actually NaN, you can pass NaN
value in Royale, so is a valid value actually, and I think Flex as well can
accept NaN right?
So if a runtime can then handle it, I think is up to that runtime to manage
through COMPILE::XX right?

  I haven't followed this part of the thread.  What is the scenario?
> UIBase.width is a Number because folks coming from Flex will expect it.
> The underlying CSS is a separate issue, IMO.

The scenario is a that HTML/JS/CSS interfaces needs to "unset" the
width/height and we can't fo this actually in AS3, just with css selector
overriding the value.
So this seems width/height implementation unfinished right?
unset (for me using NaN) should put for HTML platform width = style.width =
"initial" that is the way to say the browsers to "unset" that value and
remove the actual one (if any)

I found this problem working in some Jewel components like the ones that
popup something like ComboBox or DateField. If you search in Jewel for
"initial" you can see a commented line in "ComboBoxView" to see in some way
a real use case. Just notice I finaly didn't need since I change my
strategy about what I want that popup to behave, but that's just
circunstancial.

> IMO, we have the width/height properties that just about everybody will
> need in UIBase and everything else has to be added as a bead for PAYG
> reasons.  Remember that a top-level-component aggregates beads and proxies
> them to the API surface, so it is up to the component set developers to
> decide which properties to proxy.   There is no requirement to create a
> bead for each property, you can group them into a MinMaxWidthHeight bead or
> something like that.  It doesn't matter since different component sets can
> use different beads.

Ok I think I'll do a bead for each, I think that people would want to set
up min independently of max, so I think is better to have separated beads
if we want to enforce PAYG.
Don't make sense to me to join both in the same code since people could end
using one and couldn't need the other.

> If you want to add a setStyle() API or have properties like minWidth added
> to Jewel that's totally fine.  I don't think Basic should have it.  There
> are lower cost ways of setting CSS already in Basic.

very interesting...about setStyle, what you have in mind? a method to set a
any style using "prop" and "value" as inputs?
let me know a bit more about this, can you put a method signature of what
you propose? this could be very convenient

thanks