I ran into this very clear article [1] about the different types of
documentation a project needs, and the point of each type, on the doc list
for Libre Office. Key takeaway:

"There is a secret that needs to be understood in order to write good
software documentation: there isn’t one thing called documentation, there
are four. They are: tutorials, how-to guides, explanation and technical
reference. They represent four different purposes or functions, and require
four different approaches to their creation."

There has been some conversation about crafting our help docs in terms of
stories. To me, that can work for tutorials and how-to guides; but it works
less well for explanations and not at all for tech reference material. And
we need all four flavors.

[1]  https://www.divio.com/blog/documentation/

--
Andrew Wetmore