"The reason I mentioned my desire to have `int[]` and `MyFoo[]` in addition
to Vector was that I thought it might be another solution to this problem. "
I believe it is the better quality solution, yes. It is also one I would be
happy to use.

"I personally have never used length checking in Vector. Nor was runtime
type checking on Vectors important to me. "
length checking is automatic in flash. I don't know that you 'use' it... it
is just there.
In javascript I expect it would most often be switched off in all release
builds, but having it on by default provides another check of something
that could provide a vital clue to help people figuring out problems in
code.
So far each 'stronger typing' feature added in the last few months has
revealed potential issues or - most often - bad code that was working when
it should not
One thing about the mxml stuff is that it gets processed in a way that is
untyped.

"When I was porting a javascript library for use with Royale, array
incompatibility with Vector was a pain point. "
In what way? I'd be keen to understand more what the issues were.

"In short, I want the ability to type check my arrays at compile time and
have them completely compatible with generic arrays (something I’m missing
currently with Vector). I don’t want or need the extra weight.
To me, a good solution would be to have full runtime type checking in
Vector and be able to use “typed” arrays (not to be confused with
TypedArrays) to avoid the runtime weight.
I discussed in the past with Josh the concept of implementing “typed
arrays” in addition to Vectors. Maybe now would be a good time to make that
happen."
Yes this is how Haxe does it too. It would be my preferred 'solution' also

"I do like the concept of optimizing how certain vectors are output (such
as TypedArrays), but that might be something that can happen later."
I am pretty sure I could do this already in the current implementation, but
it would not fully conform because Vector allows switching back and forth
between fixed length and variable length, and I cannot magically transform
a reference to a TypedArray into a regular Array when that happens. It
would only work for numeric vectors that were instantiated with the length
defined and fixed argument as true and you can never change that. If the
instance was passed to other code that believed it was a Vector it has a
false impression of what it is.

"FWIW, most JS engines will automatically use a TypedArray under the hood
if you use an array where all the elements are integers, so there’s not
usually a practical advantage to writing that optimization explicitly. "
Yeah I have read up on the V8 stuff in particular in the past, it's
seriously helpful to all of us. But I would hope there is at least a small
advantage still because TypedArray knows its element type before anything
is added to 'infer' from and the bytes that it uses are pre-allocated. It
might be a small benefit only, but I will still at least check it out.