FWIW, I was able to compile a test app on my Mac.  Testers, please use beta9

npm install  @apache-royale/royale-js-swf@0.9.6-beta9 -g

You can tell from the output that, for example, mxmlc is in the path (so you
can just type 'mxmlc' and not some path to mxmlc in an SDK) and that mxmlc then
uses the compiler, sdk and config files from wherever node_modules is on your
computer.

HTH,
-Alex