Thanks Chris. Here’s to turning a new page!

From: Christofer Dutz<mailto:christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 4:38 PM
To: dev@royale.apache.org<mailto:dev@royale.apache.org>
Subject: Hi and sorry for the mess ...

Hi all,

I would like to take the opportunity of a quiet Friday and say hello and
apologize for any mess my appearance here might have caused.

For all of those to whom I might be a new face, I was strongly involved in the
past in the Flex project when Royale was still called FlexJS.
Let’s say our ways parted for quite some time. Possibly not on the best terms.

In the past I have been working sort of on the opposite side of IT than UI: In
the Apache PLC4X project. Here I’m mainly talking to industrial hardware.
The thing is: I loved Flex, I loved what FlexJS/Royale was then promising to be
so I kept following the project from a birds-eye-view. But admittedly I didn’t
build anything with it.

As PLC4X was maturing more and more I more and more had requests asking me to
actually build application using PLC4X to show industrial machineries state and
to interact with it. Therefore I had to go back into UI-stuff. Still having
Royale in the back of my mind, I played with it and instantly fell back in love
with it. I knew not everything was perfect, but Greg helped me greatly with the
AMF stuff, Carlos helped me with getting back into the saddle with the changed
Royale concepts.

So I chatted with a few folks as I noticed the last release was already half a
year ago to what the issue was. I was told that people in the project were
hesitant to participate as a RM as the last times this was done it was
perceived as a pretty intense task. This was the first time I directly heard
about “the 13 steps”.

So I sort of have a trail of helping other projects if they are having problems
with releasing and in particular with Maven builds, so I thought I’d give it a
try and have a look if I can help.

I forked all 3 Royale repos and had a look at the maven build.

I found quite a lot of things I recognized from other projects and therefore
could imagine what they were intended for. In the end I found a lot of
workarounds for previous problems in the build. Problems that were now obsolete
or for which other approaches are much simpler. Also I knew quite a few
solutions to problems that were previously reported. So I cleaned up the plugin
configuration, I cleaned up with the profiles. Last I even added some checks
that validate the local machine configuration if everything is setup correctly.

This was intended as a proposal for improvement. I knew that especially
renaming profiles will have an influence on tooling that is calling these. I
did test if it broke the normal Ant build, but it didn’t. So the only parts I
could imagine would be affected would be Jenkins Steps and Ant Automation built
around Maven. My hope was that we could work together to adjust these parts and
in the end all be happy.

Unfortunately the PR was merged within a timeframe I felt extremely
uncomfortable with. I even told the person who merged it that I would have been
happy if he hadn’t done that.

I think this was when things got off the rails.

We started an extremely unhealthy communication with me using community members
as proxies as I didn’t feel welcome in participating on the list directly (To
the reasons why, I have had one on one video chats with some Royale folks). I
decided to subscribe despite my hesitation when I saw that things weren’t
transported 100% the way I had intended them to. So to prevent things from
going off the rails even more I subscribed.

I had 100% good intentions … after all I wanted to start using Royale again.
But seeing the first responses blaming me of not being able to release made me
switch to “defensive mode” … in the following discussions I have to admit that
I also switched to “confrontive discussion mode”, which I shouldn’t have. I
would like to apologize for this. Also I was told people felt personally
attacked by my emails. I re-read them multiple times. I would say that I showed
dissent, but I didn’t see or intend them as attacks. If on the other side they
were perceived as such, I would like to apologize and assure they were not
meant as personal attacks.

So I hope anyone here that felt attacked by me will accept my apology.

If you folks want to, I will be happy to assist, if not – that’s probably
something I have to live with.

In that case I will probably just unsubscribe and leave you alone.

Chris