Well, the MacBook Air M1 (base model) totally blew the MacBook Pro Intel out of
the water too. Not quite as fast as the MacBook Pro M1, but not too far behind.
(Easily 50-70% faster than the Intel one.)

If a 13 inch screen is OK for you, the MacBook Air seems like a fine
development machine. :-)

Harbs