Yeah, making a release with a SNAPSHOT version doesn't make any sense (as SNAPSHOTs are explicitly for non-released versions of software).

At the ASF, the only thing to be aware of is that the final Git tag should be "rel/<whatever" which will prevent it from being force-push deleted.

Meier, Caleb wrote:
What are the conventions for SCM tags?  Josh, was the issue that you had with
our tag that is was v3.2.10-SNAPSHOT as opposed to either v3.2.10 or just
3.2.10?  I want to close out RYA-182, but first I want to understand what the
issue was.