I believe that the only reason current document resides on the gitbook was
that person who wrote the documentation(me) did not know another way.

If we can reference other project and find out the better way, I would be
happy to help.
I agree that maintaining documentation on the same repository as source
code would be better way, but I do not know how to start.

It would be great if you can show around how we can do this.