** with correct subject this time**

Hi all,

We have added a number of major features and changes to master since
1.5, that warrants a major 1.6 release.

Within LinkedIn, some of these features have already been tested as
part of our test suites. We plan to continue our testing the coming
weeks to validate the stability prior to release.

We wanted to kick off the discussion in the open source forum to keep
the momentum flowing.

Here is a selected list of features that are part of the new release:
  SAMZA-2600: Extract constants for string literals used in AM and
container (#1439)

    SAMZA-2596: Replace String.format() calls to avoid
MissingFormatArgumentException

    SAMZA-2595: Updated MonitorService to use separate
ScheduleExecutor for each monitor (#1434)

    SAMZA-2587: IntermediateMessageSerde exception handling (#1426)

    SAMZA-2593: Update task callback to store only necessary fields
instead of the message envelope (#1433)

    SAMZA-2574 : improve flexibility of SystemFactory interface

    SAMZA-2589: Consolidate Beam and High/Low Samza Apps launch workflow (#1428)

    SAMZA-2558: Refactor app.runner.class

    SAMZA-2424: AM should cache and serve serialized Job Model to
containers (#1241)

    SAMZA-2584: Refactor ClusterBasedJobCoordinator (#1424)

    SAMZA-2585: Modify shutdown sequence to handle orphaned AMs (#1422)

    SAMZA-2439: Remove LocalityManager and container location
information from JobModel (#1421)

    SAMZA-2579: Force restart feature for Container Placements (#1414)

You can find a concrete list of the features, bug-fixes, upgrades here
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20SAMZA%20and%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.6
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SAMZA-1875?jql=project%20%3D%20SAMZA%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Fixed%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20DESC>

Here is my proposal on our release schedule and timelines.

   1. Cut the 1.6.0 release branch.

   2. Target a release vote on the week of Nov 23rd.

--

Thanks

Boris