Hi Jody,

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 14:04:59 -0400, Jody Goldberg wrote:

> What is the goal of an open-formula specification ?  I'd assume it is
> to improve interoperability between versions and implementors of the
> standard.

This is also what I assumed. Which left me even more puzzled why the
draft mentions UI at all. It looks like it is trying to overspecify
things in several ways and nobody would be getting anywhere with it.
Frankly said, I'm mainly interested in it because I fear that there's
developing some standard away from real life and people might jump on
the wagon just because they think standards are good, no matter what.

> If that is the case then there is already a standard, MS
> Excel.  Given the complexity and prevalence of it's evaluation
> engine it seems wasteful for us to produce a standard that does
> anything that is not a superset of Excel's conventions.

Well, yes. Some may not like it, but this faces reality. The most useful
thing we could do for interoperability is to define a table of
differences, which function uses what parameters and whether they're
optional in different applications and thus in their ODF namespace. This
could be used during reading a file. Specifying all the intricacies
(first time I encountered that word, btw ;) would drive us nuts in the
end.

Just my personal 2cts.

  Eike

--
 OOo/SO Calc core developer. Number formatter bedevilled I18N transpositionizer.
 GnuPG key 0x293C05FD:  997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD