----------------
|You mean that   |
|OOo considers   |
|a line break to |
|be a paragraph  |
|in any context ?|
 ----------------
Here my whole box uses the same style for each of the line break separated segments. Ain't there a <br> equivalent in OOo that would reflect the _visual_ line break better than putting <text:p> which seems to indicate a logical structure rather than a visual formatting ?

If this is about drawing objects (shapes) with text, then you can create a line break within a paragraph by pressing Shift-Enter. In cells, this is not supported.

I understand that. In fact I should have been clearer. The phenomenon I describe happened in an import from Excel (the same that was the subject of my previous mail).

I was wondering why OOo considers the necessity to convert a line break to a series of paragraphs in the context of a shape (is that what "text boxes" are called ?) attached to a cell.

I already found a number of instances in other files where the structure:

<text:p style1><text:span style2>text1</text:span></text:p>
<text:p style1><text:span style2>text2</text:span></text:p>
<text:p style1><text:span style2>text3</text:span></text:p>

was used by OOo to implement an MS file line break. For a number of reasons (not related to OOo but to tools that access the xml OOo generates) this is not a practical and logical way to represent a line break since the "paragraph" should encompass the whole set of strings and the line break should be implemented as an "inline" part of the paragraph. I may be wrong in my interpretation of what a paragraph is though.

Jean-Christophe